Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Words

We had already walked at least 5 miles. The dog was really slowing down. The kids were starting to complain. We were all starting to wonder how much farther we had to go. The path opened up into a clearing ahead and I knew it would be hotter there, out from under the shade of the trees with the sun beating down on us. But once we stepped out a little surprise brought all the complaining to a halt. This field was full of wild blueberries. The family excitedly picked and sampled them while I snapped pictures. Sometimes the little things can be so refreshing!

If I had a million dollars, it would change my life a lot, but not for the reasons most people might think. I would first get out of debt, then move to the country. That's it. No mansion, no limo, no world travels. I crave simplicity. I like the little things.

Little things like my husband bringing me wildflowers and saying "I saw something beautiful and I thought of you." Little things like my little boys singing to me when I came up to tuck them in the other night. They sang "cause you're amazing, just the way you are..."

I love words. I love the way they can be used for description of beautiful things, for making people smile or laugh, for expressing affection and love, for giving someone confidence when they need it most... 

This morning I got an unexpected text from a friend. All it said was "good morning, Sunshine! I hope you have a great day!" Made my day. She didn't want anything from me. She didn't have any reason to contact me except that she was thinking of me and wanted to say hello. I loved it. Why can't everything be that simple?

Sometimes people use words as weapons, hurling them at others and hoping it hurts. Some use words to manipulate others to feel guilty or obligated in some way to do their bidding. For someone like me, who loves words so much, this is the ultimate attack. Most people realize that the worst words to use in an argument are "you always..." or "you never..." To me, those are words of finality. Where do you go from there?

No comments:

Post a Comment