Thursday, June 16, 2011

Assumptions

My little boy saw it first, rustling in the grass next to the trail. His quick glance caught my eye, and then I saw it too. It moved fast, then stopped as I edged closer, careful not to make too much noise, for fear of scaring it away. I was pretty sure I knew what it was, but I had to see for myself. Finally, I was able to make out the small snake, which kept very still, eyeing me cautiously. I smiled and whispered to my son to come closer and look. He crouched down and looked carefully before  announcing with all the authority a ten-year-old could possess, "it's not a venomous snake. I can tell by the shape of its head."

My husband is very good at examining things in nature to find out if they are dangerous or benign. It comes from a lifetime of interest in the subject, survival training in the military, and a degree in biology. It seems that, wherever there is something dangerous, there is often an innocent look-alike, using their dangerous appearance as a defense mechanism.

This doesn't worry my husband. He knows what to look for, and he studies it carefully before determining its identity. Whether it is an animal, a plant, or a mushroom, he gets to know it before making a judgement. He gets to know it before he sees it with research and training, then he studies it in person to compare what he has learned.

Today I had a beautiful opportunity to spend time with someone I thought I knew. I see this lovely lady on a regular basis, but always assumed she didn't think much of me. I didn't really have a solid reason for thinking that, and, looking back, I'm not sure why I ever thought it at all.

A few days ago, she mentioned that she thought I was hard to read. She wasn't sure what I was thinking. I found this incredibly amusing, considering I felt the same way about her, so I told her so. Her response to me was fantastic. She declared that it was time to get to know each other. So today, having a rare weekday off from work, I acted on it and asked her to have lunch with me. I'm so glad I did.

This has me wondering how we determine where people fit into our lives. I always hear the question "what is love" - it's the subject of dozens of songs, books, and movies. But I wonder what friendship is, and how it happens. Twice - that I know of - in the last year, I have misjudged someone. I'm so glad, in this case, to find out I was wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Glenda. I just love your creative writing expression. Assuming the best of others has been one of my life mottos the past couple of years. Knowing how much I appreciate people assuming the best of me regardless of what they have perceived or maybe heard......it goes along way to give someone a chance. People, as things aren't what they always appear. Friendship is a risk. True friendship. It means opening up, realizing you may get hurt, but the best things in life are like that. Glad that you were able to have lunch today and hope this friendship develops into a deep lifelong one. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete