Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Reaping

From the time the car is parked until the marshmallows are over the fire, there is a bustle of activity. Setting up camp takes work and cooperation. My husband had the kids help set up the tent and screen house. Everyone helped to search for suitable firewood. The older ones were even allowed to assist with chopping wood and tending the fire, with supervision of course. I unpacked and prepared dinner supplies, set out the chairs, all while listening to the excited chatter of children making new discoveries around camp. It is a lot of work to get it all set up but once we sit down and feel the warmth of the fire and look at the night stars, it is all worthwhile.

I used to be a quitter. At least that was how I saw myself. I had great ideas but never followed through on anything. I wanted the end result but not the work required to bring it about. Since I started boot camp - the Dr. Drill Instructor Program - that mentality has changed.

This program encourages goals. And encourages hard work to reach them. I've been at it for over a year now and have seen some great results. I am stronger and happier, healthier and more focused than ever. Prior to starting the program, I knew I wanted to get fit and healthy, but as a mother of four with a full time job, I didn't see how that was possible. DDIP was the perfect solution. It's early in the morning. Very very early. At a time when there is nothing else on my schedule but sleep.

Sleep is a thing I have always cherished, so it was quite an adjustment to get up at 4:30 am. At first. Once I got a taste of the program I was excited to hear that alarm go off and my body has adjusted to the early jump start. Where "sleeping in" used to be 10:00 or later, it has become 6:00.

A few people have tried to "reason" with me about this new part of my life. It's hard to believe, but there are people out there who think exercise is bad for you. Really?? One person is telling me she has lots of health problems today because of all the hard work she has done in her life. (None of this was a structured exercise class that teaches proper technique, stretching, warming up, cooling down, listening to your body, etc - just daily duties common to man.)

In the fall I had pneumonia. Twice since then my boss has tried to blame my extra sick days over the last year on my working out. I admit I did not research this so I may be way off, but I don't think pneumonia is caused by calisthenics. Just an uneducated guess.

I took a visitor to class with me once and she went to her chiropractor the next day. She was told that someone "her age" should not be doing such strenuous exercise. She's in her 50's!! There are people older than her doing extremely well in the DDIP program. I just don't understand it.

I want to be healthy and fit. I want to shock people when I tell them my age - if I ever tell them. I don't want people to say "she looks good for her age" I want people to say "wow! she looks good!" And that's going to take work. But in the end, it is all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment