Thursday, June 9, 2011

Shades of Death

After hiking for a bit on the "Shades of Death" trail, we began to hear the sound of a waterfall and people laughing. I wasn't too excited at the prospect of encountering others on our walk but we continued on towards the sounds. When we reached the waterfall I was stunned to see two boys jumping off the top into a clear pool of water below. Their father was sitting on a rock, watching them. My kids ventured as close to the edge as I would allow, being the overprotective mom I am - and horribly afraid of heights. I finally managed to get the family to move along down the trail to the bottom, and downstream to where the water was calmer. There were rocks that reached out into the water and we found a very secure place to stand and watch the falls from there. What looked so frightening to me at the top looked fascinating from the bottom. It even looked kind of fun.

When I have bad news to give someone, I often check first to see what kind of mood they're in. Obviously, perspective can dictate how someone will respond to something. It often makes communication difficult. Both parties have their own set of opinions, experiences, and emotions attached to a given subject. Suddenly one of you makes a statement that triggers an unpleasant memory and you end up arguing and not even knowing why.

The more I see the flaws in myself and others, the more I am astounded by the perfection of God. I can say I forgive. I can think I have forgiven and have been forgiven. But when a nerve is struck, painful memories and anger come flooding back. Not so with God. He says He forgives and it's forgiven. He doesn't forget. But He forgives completely. I wish I knew how to do that. I wish others did too. Because we all screw up.

Until people get to know me they often think of me as a very quiet person. I usually am, because I am afraid of how people will perceive me when I talk. What if they don't like the real me? What if I say the wrong thing and they judge me? Sometimes I let someone in, trust them with my thoughts and feelings, and end up with a really solid friendship. I have a few of those that I cherish every day. Then there are those with whom I should have just kept silent.

The secure rock in the stream is a good place to stand. I need that perspective again.

1 comment:

  1. Good post! I am learning not to let those fears overcome me. I feel similar a lot of times. Mostly, when I say something and it is challenged. I usually back-down not wanting to start and argument. I start to doubt what I thought I knew and next thing I know, I just don't speak up. That doesn't happen so much anymore. I am learning to be confident in who I am and what I know. If I'm wrong, so be it!

    ReplyDelete