Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bridges

A lot of people would have turned back when they got to where the bridge used to be, especially in January, with snow on the ground. Even after hiking at least four miles, most would prefer to backtrack four miles than do what we were about to do - wade through mid-calf-length, freezing cold water. But we are DDIPers. We take on challenges like this for fun. One by one, we crossed,  placing one foot after another on the slippery rocks, and being very careful not to fall. Captain Cook didn't want me to take her picture, but I did it anyway. Only because no one offered to take one of me and I felt this had to be documented. After crossing, we paused to regroup and continued on the trail in our freezing, sopping wet shoes and big, goofy grins.

I've had a lot on my mind lately about relationships and how people communicate with each other. I mentioned before how important words are to me and a lot has been going on in my life regarding words, both spoken and unspoken. How they can build bridges of friendship and how they can tear them down.  

There is a man I really look up to, who passed away a few months ago after a long battle with cancer. He  said something once that I'll never forget. He said, "it is always in your best interest to make other people look good." I would venture to add that it is also in your best interest to make them feel good. I think he would agree with me.

While in the hospital undergoing painful, draining treatments, he still shared a smile and a kind word with everyone he encountered. In the midst of his deepest suffering, he would still ask how you were doing, and actually care about the answer. He was known for it by both hospital staff and other patients. No matter how big his problem was, he still cared about the feelings and concerns of others.

I enjoy making people feel good about themselves. I have been known to send a text out of the blue to someone with a cheery hello and a compliment. This may be selfish, but I love what I get out of that. I get to see how happy it makes them to be remembered. To be appreciated. And sometimes they say nice things back, which is icing on the cake.

So, in thinking about words, I've compiled a little list. It is by no means exhaustive, but includes some of the best examples I can think of for bridge-building words:

1. I'm here if you need anything.
2. You are worth my time.
3. I'm listening.
4. I'm sorry.
5. I forgive you.

No comments:

Post a Comment