Friday, June 10, 2011

The Story Well

Across the dirt road from my childhood home there was a trail leading into the woods. I loved walking that trail and would take it as far as I dared. I made up stories as I walked - stories I planned to one day turn into books. The trees and dirt and solitude inspired me. The day I found the hole in the ground was probably the one that inspired me most. I never wrote about it but I made up such stories, just sitting and peering down into the hole. I tossed a stick into the opening to see if I could hear it land - yeah, it was that deep. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a well, or maybe used to be a well and was abandoned. It was big and deep and empty. Lots of room to be filled with stories.

My daughter slept over at her friend's house last night and it reminds me of myself at her age. I used to spend night after night at my friend Crystal's house. It was like a second home to me. We were joined at the hip. We planned on being best friends forever before the term "BFF" was born.

My times with Crystal are some of my best memories from my school days. I can still remember the way she said things, the way we loved having debates over the silliest things, the way she yelled at her little brother when he annoyed her. I remember lots about her family, too. Her dad's pancakes that filled up the whole plate, the way he served ice cream, and the song-and-dance he put her through to get permission to go to my house.

Crystal and I had big plans for our futures and they always included each other. But things don't always work out the way you think they will. Both of us ended up moving away. We each missed the other's wedding. We lost touch a few times and had to find each other again. We are still in touch but living states away from each other. Our lives have taken different paths. We are still friends because a friendship like that never dies.

Being a grown-up comes with a lot of responsibility. No more sleepovers, except for the occasional girl's getaway. No more dads making pancakes and all-nighters watching scary movies. Now I'm creating new memories with my family. And new memories for my kids.

They see their parents choosing to spend time together and go out on dates. They see us standing together in the kitchen to talk when there is too much commotion in the rest of the house. They see us laugh together and plan together and work through problems together. They see that even when the days of sleepovers are behind them, there is something even stronger to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment