Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Shooting Star

It streaked across the pre-dawn sky and vanished in a matter of seconds. That was all I saw of it, but still it was thrilling. I rarely look at the sky, especially when I'm running. Normally I would be watching the path. So it felt like luck or providence that I happened to look up at that exact moment. It was there and gone by the time I could point it out to JJ, yet it stamped a lasting memory on that run. I was glad when  JJ saw one, too, before the run was over. I didn't see hers. It just happened so fast.

Sometimes everything that seems so stable and consistent can change in a matter of seconds, leaving a mark - sometimes a scar - in a person's life. It can be good. Like winning the lottery or stumbling into fame and fortune. It can be bad, like a tragedy.

I've been seeing this around me frequently lately. A dear friend was involved in a car accident resulting in a fatality. Another witnessed a horrific accident right in front of him and had to fearfully wait for help while she lay pinned under her car. Yet another friend is still processing the grief of her nephew's senseless murder. And then there is Skylar. The little girl two blocks away who was playing outside her home one minute and killed in a savage attack the next. In all cases, one minute things were normal and stable, and in a flash it all changed. Anything can happen.

I have a tendency to let fear take hold after tragedy. Fear and helplessness. Someone's facebook status today said "if you could have coffee with anyone from the Bible, who would it be, and why?" With brutal honesty, I would have to say Job. Because I want to ask him how he could continue to trust God after all the tragedy He allowed in his life. How did he cope? People may say they understand, but I won't believe them. It just doesn't make sense.

There is a person in my life who enjoys telling me they have it worse than me. Whatever my complaint, they will one-up it to make themselves the one to be pitied. Today I'm not in the mood for it. Today I am heavy-hearted for those going through life-shattering crises. Ones that this person wouldn't dare try to one-up.

1 comment:

  1. I think one of the smartest things a person can say is nothing, but offer arms for a hug and a shoulder to cry on. Job's friends had it right when they sat with him and were quiet, it's when they tried to be God that they got into trouble! There are times to speak and times to be quiet! Thanks for being willing to be heavy hearted with people who are hurting, and admitting you don't have all the answers. No one does Glenda, except God Himself. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete