Sunday, July 31, 2011

Deer in a Trance

We had been running for five miles and I was starting to complain and lose my focus. Thor was talking to me about something - probably something motivational to keep me moving - when I saw the deer. It stood broadside, directly ahead of us at the point where the trail turns to the right. "Look! Look, look, look, look!!" I whispered excitedly, pointing like a little kid. Then Thor saw it too. We got somewhere within 20 yards of this deer without it moving. She just stood there watching, no doubt thinking she must be dreaming to see me running like that. It felt a little surreal to me, as well.

Yesterday was a milestone day for me. I ran farther than I ever have before. My GPS and Thor's GPS were not in sync - his said 10.75 miles and mine said 8.44 - but, based on other factors, we deduced that the total run was at least ten miles. TEN MILES! I'll give you a minute to let that sink in...

...

It's useless, isn't it? I'm still waiting for it to sink in myself! I'm trying not to think about the fact that I need to do the same thing next weekend. Oh boy...

It wasn't easy. Thor makes it look easy but don't let him fool you - he's a superhero, remember? The times that I walked, which were frequent once we hit the 5 mile mark, he ran backwards. He didn't walk at all. Ever. He's a marathon runner so this was cake for him.

mmmm cake sounds good.... where was I?

Thor said I need a mantra, something to say while I'm running to keep me moving. I'm going to have to give that some thought. It is definitely mental for me. I have noticed that my mind is ready to quit long before my body is.

This is what's keeping me on track so far with running:

1. Friends like Hurricane Becky saying they are impressed and giving me kudos for my dedication.
2. Friends like KC who are going through the same kind of training, and not wanting to let them down.
3. My husband telling me how thin I'm beginning to look, and how toned my legs are becoming.
4. Friends like Thor and Medl and Bowes and KC who don't stop and walk when I start complaining, but encourage me to push through my mental battles and conquer this.

See how important people are? Everyone needs a support system and I have the best!

1 comment:

  1. Remember to do it for YOU as well!!! For how you feel when you are done! To point your kids to accomplishing something you never though you could do, so when they say they can't....you can say...YOU CAN...because I CAN! So proud of you Glenda. I'm only running regularly a couple of miles a day, and once ran a 5K, but wanted to die! :) Each day I just try to push myself a little more, knowing I did it before, I can do it again! Cheering you on as well! :)

    ReplyDelete