Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Ducklings

As we angled the canoes, preparing to cross the choppy water to the next island, I saw my husband pointing at something to his left. I couldn't hear him through the wind, but I soon saw what he was showing me. It was a family of ducks, swimming in the same direction we were going. I grabbed the camera but they were quick, and soon out of range for a good picture. It was one of many interesting things we were about to see on our day trip in the canoes, just another family out for a nice time on the water.

On the way to take my twins to school today, I saw a woman pushing a double stroller with twin boys inside, and a young boy and girl walking with her. I felt very emotional seeing that. It was me, ten years ago. What are the odds that there would be another family in our neighborhood with the same mix of kids? I wanted to tell her what someone told me the first day I was her. I wanted to say, "Don't worry! It gets easier!"

But then I'd be lying.

Sure, they can all dress themselves and don't need to be pushed in strollers or carried in baby carriers anymore. Yes they can entertain themselves and stay home without a babysitter. But I am still a mom and that is still a full-time job.

Last week, three nights in a row I came home from my other full-time job (the one I get a paycheck for), only to head right back out for some other activity - Monday was cub scouts with the twins, Tuesday was a school social for my daughter, Wednesday was youth group for my oldest. Squeezed into those same days were household responsibilities and my own workout schedule, which I think helps me keep up the energy for all this! And even though it sounds like a lot, I deal with mom guilt something fierce.

I know many moms who seem to have it all together. Clean house, clean kids, updated medical and dental checkups for everyone, well-dressed, well-groomed, well-fed (nutritiously) families... and these aren't all stay-at-home moms. Some have full-time jobs outside the home - and they are probably exceptional at them!

Not me. Monday my son had to go to the dentist for a broken tooth and I thought I was going to get a stern talking-to from them about our infrequent visits. I didn't, thankfully. He must have been busy. My house is a mess - sink full of dishes, piles of laundry on the floor ALL over the house, dog hair in the corners, paper piles on every flat surface... it's exhausting just thinking about it. Which is why many days I am more likely found sitting on the sofa watching TV than dealing with it. I'm escaping. I'm overwhelmed.

I know there are tons of resources out there to help people get organized but I feel like I need an intervention! I don't even know where to begin! If you have tips, please pass them along - I (and my family) will thank you!

And if your house is a mess, please invite me over so I will know there are other families out there going the same direction we are going. That we are just another family taking it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment