Friday, August 5, 2011

Apple Pie

I washed the apples and started peeling them, hoping this would work. My cookbook was open, and all the ingredients present and accounted for. No one had ever taught me how to bake pies, but I wanted something sweet so badly, I was willing to give it a try. Being a poor college student presents its share of challenges, especially when you are a married college student living 45 minutes off campus in a tiny hunting cabin. My husband had picked these apples off the trees on his dad's hunting property down the road. There were various kinds - we didn't know all the names. After about an hour, there was flour everywhere, a pie on the table, a delicious aroma, and, according to my husband, the best pie ever made.

I feel really great today. I'm on top of the world! It started out with an amazing workout at boot camp. I think all this running is helping me because I felt stronger and had much more energy during the workout. We were outside in a field, standing in a huge circle with Drill in the middle. While he was leading an exercise, I saw the sun begin to edge up over the horizon. It was stunning! Bright orangey-red against a pale blue sky. I kept an eye on it and by the time that particular exercise was done, the sun was almost fully exposed. I literally watched it rise up! A friend of mine said I am noticing God's fingerprints everywhere. I think that was one of them.

 There is a new TV show out now about people who use coupons so efficiently that they can have several carts of groceries and spend only, like ten bucks or something. I really wish I could get the hang of that. I try, and I've done pretty well, but nothing like that. Having that skill in this economy could be a lifesaver!

It takes real creativity to make the most of limited resources. One of my favorite meals growing up was something my mom called her "invention". It was a hamburger stew that she made up out of a few ingredients she found in her cupboard once when they had no money for groceries. I asked her to make it on a regular basis, and asked for the recipe when I got married.

Often around Christmastime there are heartwarming stories about children trying to help others by making something or organizing fundraisers for places like childrens' hospitals or our troops on the front lines. These kids get really creative, since they can't just get a job and send money. They want badly enough to help, that they either find a way - or make a way.

No matter how limited our resources. No matter how small we may be. There is always something we can do. It's the ones who accomplish things in spite of  their abilities that stand out and inspire others. Those are the ones we admire the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment