Friday, July 1, 2011

Lenape

They were fishing at Lake Lenape and my husband needed another worm for bait. Our little boy, even at the age of three, knew when it was time to take action. He looked around for a bit, then saw a robin pull a worm out of the ground, and, for the good of the mission, ran to the bird. The robin flew away, leaving behind the worm, a proud child, a stunned father, and a very funny story.

Last night I had no intention of going to boot camp. I was, yet again, feeling defeated. I don't know what's wrong with me lately! But after exchanging a few texts with Crazy Dukes, I felt rejuvenated. I couldn't wait for the alarm to go off so I could go work out with everyone. It amazes me all the time how one well-timed nice comment can turn your whole world around.

I was so glad I went. Today, the responsibility of leading the whole class fell on the shoulders of a very strong and capable, yet slightly nervous, member of the DDIP family. We call her Tamato. She set aside her nerves and took charge of that class like a pro. I was so proud of her - and inspired by her! We had a great workout, followed by my favorite, a trail run. I love the woods so much! I felt like I conquered something by doing what I didn't think I could do - going in and pushing through with enthusiasm, when I didn't think I had it in me. Time to take it to the next level.

So I just registered for a half marathon. It's a 13.1 mile trail run, taking place in September. It's bigger than me. I have never run that far in my life. I'm a little nervous, now that I made the commitment, but I have learned over the last year to believe in myself. Funny thing to be learning at my age (don't ask), but you don't know what you can do until you do it.

Two years ago, I didn't think I could run for five minutes straight. So I trained for a 5K. A year ago, I didn't think I could run more than 4 miles, so I stuck with Fiona and she got me to run 8. What I noticed each time was that incredible feeling of accomplishment I got from doing what I didn't think I could do. It's much more satisfying than doing something I've done before.

The fears and obstacles that stand in the way of a goal can be a deterrent if we let them, but they also spice up the reward if we go for it. The bigger the challenge, the sweeter the victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment