Friday, July 22, 2011

Diving In

I sat, sunning myself on the giant rock in the lake, trying to get a little color on my skin, and hoping the color wouldn't be red. My husband had helped our beagle up onto the rock as well. The dog was tired from swimming and it was easier than taking him to the bank. My family splashed and played in the water while I relaxed. My eyes were closed when I heard a loud splash right behind me. I looked just in time to see my beagle's head emerge from the water as he doggy-paddled over to join the fun. It was a funny moment, seeing my ten-year-old beagle do something so impulsive and bold. 

There is something to be said for impulsiveness. The biggest decision of my life - getting married - was made within 5 months of meeting the guy. It was a logical decision, since we were doomed to either a long-distance relationship or a lifetime of wondering what if? otherwise. Yet getting married is a decision normally given much more time than even that five short months of getting to know him. By the world's standards, that was extremely impulsive.

Odd to think that the commitment of doing crossword puzzles in ink shows confidence, but marrying someone you've only known a few months results in skepticism and assumptions by those around you. If my friend's mom was right in her adamant conviction that I was knocked up, my oldest was seven years overdue. I would have thought the longest pregnancy in history would have gotten me some kind of recognition - and compensation - by Guinness but I still haven't heard from them.

We were told we were too young. That we were not going to last. A relative I will not name actually took bets at my bridal shower how long this marriage will last. I should have gotten in on that bet. We are 22 years strong. We still hold hands and kiss each other good night and want to tell each other all about our day. That impulsive decision turned out to be the right one.

I've always been impulsive. Every babysitter we've ever had learned very quickly that when we call to see if they are available, we mean right now. I decide I want to do something and I just don't want to wait!

I've made a couple of decisions recently that I actually spent a lot of time considering before acting on. One was a change I needed to make at work. I didn't want to make this change but I needed to, and only a few people know the real reason for that. It's a decision that took me months to commit to. I hope I don't regret it.

The other decision is more personal and I'm not going to get into details yet. Only a few people are in on this decision, too. I am not worried that I will regret it. I just don't want anyone trying to change my mind. I'm very excited about it and my husband is supportive of it and that's all that matters.

And of course there is that half marathon I mentioned  a few weeks ago. I'm still training for that. Life is getting interesting and I'm feeling pretty good about it. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment