Sunday, July 3, 2011

Twenty Two

We walked along, hand in hand, along the wooded path. Occasionally, he pointed out a flower, told me what kind it was, then cut one for me. As my bouquet grew, I marveled at how much this simple gesture meant to me. I could almost imagine the scene from outside myself, as though it played on a movie screen with soft edges and romantic background music. We've been through lots of ups and downs together: successes and failures, the births of our children, arguments and forgiveness. And he still holds my hand and stops to pick flowers for me, after over 22 years of marriage.

I went to church this morning. Ten did a great job with her message. At the beginning she prayed that God would use her message to encourage someone and I can tell you He answered.

Over the last few months, I've had some difficult times with relationships. What I learned today was that some relationships are steadfast, and don't depend on circumstances. One of those who have been steadfast in my life is my husband. He knows I'm not perfect. He doesn't expect me to be. He knows when I hurt and he cares. He also knows when I'm wrong and how to tell me without destroying me. He knows how to admit his own faults and how to forgive mine. He loves me for who I am.

After church I had lunch and a long walk with my friend Marianne. She is also steadfast. I can talk to her about anything and she doesn't judge me. She knows how to confront an issue without destroying a friendship. She also doesn't expect me to be perfect. She knows the things I struggle with and shares her struggles with me. We don't see each other every day - in fact, I haven't seen her since March. That has not threatened our friendship, because it's real.

Almost every day I email with my friend Tracey. She moved out of state a few years ago but she is still a steadfast part of my life. She is a confidante. She is candid and open and non-judgmental. She discusses deep topics with me and asks the hard questions that make me think. She knows I'm nowhere near perfect, but it has no effect on our friendship.

And then there is God. Steadfast. Ten pointed out that He is always there. Whether I'm in the valley, or in the ocean's depths, or lost in my own personal struggles, He is there with me. I hadn't thought about that in quite a while. I'm pretty sure she got it from Psalm 139. I need to read it again.

What a thought, He is with me every single step I take, whether I acknowledge Him or not. He knows I'm not perfect. But He wants to perfect me. And He's the only one who can.

No comments:

Post a Comment