Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Someday

There was still quite a bit of snow on the trail when my friends Dean, Stephanie, and I went hiking at Evansburg. I wasn't prepared for the quiet beauty I was to see out there, not being a winter person at all. I dressed warmly enough, thankfully. Looking down at the creek at the bottom of the hill, I had to stop and admire the way the ice had formed little platforms out into the current. My friends had to stop and wait many times for me to study little animal tracks I found along the trail. This was a world I rarely see. I prefer to hibernate and whine and ask, "when will winter be over?"

I am a procrastinator. The word "someday" is a staple in my vocabulary. Over the last year, since starting boot camp, I've been realizing that I'm missing out on a lot of living by using that word. Two years ago I said "someday I want to try kayaking". I know that they rent kayaks at Peace Valley. All I have to do is go there and take action. But I haven't yet. I don't only use "someday" for fun activities but things like painting the upstairs hallway, decluttering the house, teaching the twins how to ride their bikes... the list goes on. I even say, every week as I push my grocery cart out of the store and pass by the customer service desk, "someday I'm going to buy a lottery ticket."

I'm attacking a "someday" now, and it's a little scary. I have decided to stop saying "someday I will run a half-marathon". I picked the day. September 17. Philadelphia. I haven't signed up yet - yeah, I know, I'll do it someday - but I have told a few people, which makes it more of a reality. If it's a little scary to tell people, imagine how I must be trembling with fear as I type this and put it out there for all to see. Yikes! But boot camp has shown me that I'm stronger than I ever thought I was. And that I have that stick-to-it-iveness that I never thought I had. I can finish what I start. I can do this!

A glorious three-day weekend has just come to a close and I must head in to work now. Which reminds me, maybe I'll stop and get that lottery ticket today. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment