Thursday, December 29, 2011

Rainbows and Resolutions

We discovered that our tent was in the lowest part of the campground after the first night. We moved everything out of our tent and attempted to dry it off with our beach towels in the bright morning sun. This set the stage for the remainder of our honeymoon, in which each day followed suit with a night-time rainstorm and beautiful days spent drying everything out again. We had an air mattress to sleep on, so at least we could keep ourselves dry. It was not the honeymoon we would have signed up for.  Many people might have considered it ruined, or bickered about who's idea this was. Many would probably have even cut it short. But we made fun memories that week. We made the most of the sunshine with deep sea fishing and sunning on the beach. When we talk about that little vacation, even memories of those rainy nights make us smile, because it was all part of a grand adventure.

After the last few months, this Christmas season was very much like the rainbow after a heavy rainstorm. I would say this has been the most enjoyable Christmas ever. It was very relaxing and drama-free. We isolated ourselves, just our immediate family, and did not succumb to the pressures of the expectations of others. It felt like we were on vacation. Instead of getting all stressed out trying to please people we only see at holidays, we focused on spending quality time with those who love us all year long. It may be controversial, but I think this is how it should be.

I'm not much for New Year's Resolutions. In the past I have enjoyed telling people that my resolution was to quit smoking. The idea was that someone would say "but you don't smoke", so I could reply, "exactly, so this resolution is sure to be a success!" Nobody really caught on, though, and that conversation never actually happened the way I imagined it would.

This year I have a good one. I'm not calling it a resolution, though - more of an objective. My objective for this year is to stop looking for validation and approval from others. I think this is where I went wrong over the last year. I have given people too much power over me in that way, and now I'm taking it back.

My hubby said it best, without saying a word, when he gave me one of my Christmas gifts - a 13.1 magnet for my car. With that gesture, he gave me all the validation and approval I needed. He told me he was proud of me, and made me feel proud of myself. I don't need validation from anyone else. I already have it from those who love me all year long. I love my family. They are where my heart is. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment